GB Rally

Nog ff wat snel nieuws van de Skoda persorganisatie, voor GB rally :

QUESTIONS TO COLIN McRAE AND NICKY GRIST
Colin McRae/Nicky Grist are to join the Škoda Motorsport World Rally Team to drive the Fabia WRC 05 alongside Armin Schwarz/Klaus Wicha on next month’s Rally GB (September 14-18), round 12 of the 2005 WRC.
Colin McRae

Explain why you are to contest Rally GB with the Škoda Motorsport World Rally Team?

For some time now I’ve been keen to get back into the World Rally Championship and I’ve also been having talks for
some time with Škoda Motorsport that have led to me achieving that aim. The icing on the cake is that it's for Rally GB. It’s obviously always been a special rally for me and so if there was one particular rally I’d choose to make a comeback on, this would be the one. I’m really looking forward to it.

What’s the challenge that is facing you and Nicky for this event?

It’s been about 18 months since I last competed on the WRC, not since Rally GB 2003 in fact, but the rally was run in November and was the final round of the championship that year. I’ve got to get back into full physical fitness before the rally and I need as much time in the car as possible to make sure I’m up to speed when the event starts.

Is it a one-off or is this part of a programme of more events with Škoda Motorsport?

Although I’m ruling nothing out for the future we are just concentrating on this one event and treating it as a one-off.

What are your immediate aims now that the deal has been confirmed?

The important thing is to get into the Fabia WRC 05 as soon as possible and start work adjusting it to my liking. Part of my reason for agreeing to join the team is to try and help move the development of the car along as quickly as possible. I saw when I drove the Fabia WRC last year in Spain that it has great potential and so I’m confident that I can help to make a difference.

What sort of programme have you got between now and the rally?

Škoda Motorsport has organised a very intensive test programme just before the rally that should give Nicky and I plenty of time to get used to the car. Obviously I’m going to be a little bit rusty at first but we should be able to get it set up the way we want and be in good shape when we get to the start line.

What sort of result would you realistically like to achieve on Rally GB?

A win of course! Seriously though, my first aim is to achieve the best result possible for the team and myself. We’ll try to finish well into the points and anything after that will be a bonus.

Nicky Grist

What are your thoughts on getting back with Colin for Rally GB?

I am really looking forward to it. We are determined to give Škoda Motorsport the best result we can and we are taking the job seriously. But I am also sure the event will be a lot of fun for us. After 16 years of travelling the world from event to event the one big difference in Wales is seeing friends, family and the people who have supported Colin and I over many years – that will give me an extra buzz. With the news of our entry only a few hours old I am already amazed at the number of people who have told me they are coming out to watch.

Nog even en dan is het zover...

Een eerste persbericht:

ŠKODA MOTORSPORT BRACES ITSELF FOR 'McRAE MANIA' AS BRITAIN'S FIRST WORLD CHAMPION RETURNS FOR RALLY GB

* Colin McRae makes eagerly awaited comeback to World Rally Championship
* Fast roads of south Wales set to provide exciting challenge for Škoda Motorsport

The Škoda Motorsport World Rally Team returns to gravel for the 12th round of the World Rally Championship, Rally GB (September 15-18) where the Fabia WRC 05 will be driven by the regular crew of Armin Schwarz/Klaus Wicha alongside Britain's Colin McRae/Nicky Grist.
The return of Colin to the WRC after an 18-month absence is being eagerly anticipated by rally fans who have rushed to buy tickets to see their hero since the announcement was made last month. Colin and Nicky are the second most successful partnership in the history of the World Rally Championship. The Škoda Motorsport World Rally Team for Rally GB is also the most experienced partnership in the entry list with 257 WRC starts and 26 wins between them.
Rally GB is 61 years old this year and therefore one of the oldest events in the current championship. It is characterised by fast gravel stages and, while last year's date switch to September made little change to the traditionally wet weather, the possibility of dry and even faster conditions remains a possibility.
Colin said: "I'm eager to get back into competing again and to do so on my home event is something very special for both Nicky and myself. I'm looking forward to working with Škoda Motorsport and helping to push the development of the Fabia WRC 05 along in a positive way. I'm not really thinking much about a specific result but I'd like to think that, even having been out of the WRC for a while, I can still drive a car quickly enough to get well into the Top 10."
Armin said: "Rally GB is special to me as it was where I made my WRC debut with Audi in 1988 and it has remained a favourite ever since."
Head of the Škoda Motorsport World Rally Team, Martin Muehlmeier, said: "I think that everyone is very excited about this event and the amount of interest being shown in Škoda Motorsport shows we made a good choice of driver. I hope that we can now get the result that everyone wants."

Team news:
Colin McRae's preparations for this event are continuing this week with a major test programme in Scotland. He has been working to get fully acquainted with the Fabia WRC 05 ahead of Rally GB and will conclude his programme when he drives the Fabia as '0' car on Saturday's Park Systems Rally that takes place near Dumfries. Details from the testing will be issued at the weekend.
Rally GB in detail:
Rally GB was traditionally the final event in the World Rally Championship until it moved from its November date to September last year. Despite predictions that the rally would be run in dry and dusty conditions with speeds threatening to reach similar levels to Finland, the weather proved just as difficult and the muddy conditions continued.
After a ceremonial start by the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff at 1930 on the evening of Thursday September 15, the event heads into west Wales to its base at the Felindre Rally Centre near Swansea. The opening leg features six stages (three run twice each) to the north and east of Felindre, totaling 139.24kms. Saturday's action is to the north with six more stages
(103.70kms) before the crews head to Cardiff for a one kilometre indoor superspecial at the Millennium Stadium. Sunday's final leg includes two runs over two of the event's longest stages, Resolfen and Margam (113.62kms). After an overall total of 357.56kms the rally finishes in the Welsh capital on Sunday afternoon at 1410 (1510 CET).

Ik zal foto's posten en het rallyverslag van Skoda.

Nu is de rallysport het enige medium waar ons merk op WK niveau aktief is... jammergenoeg krijgt de rallysport zelfs hier in het Skodaforum niet de aandacht die het verdient.

Helaas valt er niet veel goeds te melden. De rally is gestopt na het tragische Peugeot ongeval op poef 15 vandaag. De 307 WRc van Markko Martin raakte van de weg waarbij navigator Martin Parc overleed aan zijn verwondingen.. een tragische dag voor de rallysport.

Exciter

Administrator
Ja, hoe erg het ook is...

Het blijft in mijn ogen een TOPSPORT, maar als je er aan begint, weet je, dat dit je heel makkelijk kan overkomen.

Jammer, maar echt treurig word ik er ook niet van.

Ik kijk graag naar de Rally's, en zal best eens zelf mee willen doen. Wel, als ik tijdens zo'n evenement het loodje leg, heb ik er zeker om gevraagd.

Nou, waneer is de volgende race?

Dutch4x4

Hoorde 't in Engeland. Blijft een zwak punt, de portieren.

Triest, op topniveau niet meer van deze tijd, maar het zet je als autosportliefhebber wel weer met beide benen op de grond. En de teams en rijders waarschijnlijk ook.

*fluistert*

Exciter, nooit meer het woord 'race' gebruiken als het om rally's gaat, hoor... Da's vloeken in de kerk! /forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hetzer

Forumguru
Het gaat ook ontzettend hard over die weggetjes hoor!!!
Het is inderdaad erg vrang dat uitgerekend door het dodelijke ongeluk ( en de daar uitvolgende terug trekking ) van het Peugeot-team, het Skoda-team 2 wk punten pakt /forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bovenaan Onderaan