Kodiaq jittery ride on cruise control

Andriyus

Nieuw lid
Hi everyone! I just bought an occassion Skoda Kodiaq 2019 with very low mileage (<20k km). The car was imported from Spain, where it was a rental car. Everything seems OK in the car except for one thing - when driving at stable speed of 50-70 km/h (for example on cruise control), the car seems to jitter / shake a bit. It almost feels as if it is riding in too high of a gear and has this almost stalling effect. It is also relatively subtle - not something that you notice immediately, but you can feel your feet, your hands on the steering wheel, your phone on the holder vibrating. The car is automatic with 7-speed DSG, has 19 inch Pirelli Scorpion tires (inflated to 2.7 bar). Should I be concerned? The car still has 3 months factory warranty on it, hence I am considering taking it to a dealer for a check, but has anyone else experienced this problem before? Or is this "normal" expectation? I had a Toyota Prius+ before, which had a very soft & smooth ride but perhaps I should not be comparing them?

ertromp

Forumguru
Perhaps a flat spot on the tyres. The car probably hasn't driven for a period. Pump them up to 3.1 bars for a little period

Tinus78

Forumguru
At least you could inform your dealership in written before the warranty ends. I strongly believe you can claim warranty even when the 3 months expired if you have at least notified them during the warranty. This is your proof the issue occured during.
And off course you have provided the dealer the possibility to check and solve the issue.

elsinga

Forumguru
If the multifunction display shows (eco), it is running on 2 cylinders on purpose. And 50-70km/h in (probably) 5th gear can be in (eco) mode and thus running on 2 cylinders. That produces the feeling you describe and is normal.

ertromp

Forumguru
If the multifunction display shows (eco), it is running on 2 cylinders on purpose. And 50-70km/h in (probably) 5th gear can be in (eco) mode and thus running on 2 cylinders. That produces the feeling you describe and is normal.
But this the topic starter says "but you can feel your feet, your hands on the steering wheel, your phone on the holder vibrating" Is not normal for 2 cilinder modus. Never had that feeling in my 1.4 ACT

Andriyus

Nieuw lid
Thanks for the comments.
Is it running on 2 cilinders?

It may switch to 2-cylinder mode as well. But vibration may not necessarily be linked to when it is running on 2-cylinder. Although I haven't had a chance yet to clearly diagnose when exactly it happens. In case I conclude that vibration is limited only to a 2-cylinder operation, what would that tell me?

I am indeed thinking that possibly (at least one of) the tyres is unbalanced, hence causing this vibration. I will try to diagnose it further.

Andriyus

Nieuw lid
= "ertromp, post: 939019, member: 2408"] Perhaps a flat spot on the tires. The car probably hasn't driven for a period. Pump them up to 3.1 bars for a little period

Hmmm... Possibly. Any way to diagnose if that's the case or not? When you say to pump them up to 3.1 bars for some time - for how long should I keep them at 3.1 ?

Andriyus

Nieuw lid
[QUOTE = "ertromp, post: 939027, member: 2408"] But this the topic starter says "but you can feel your feet, your hands on the steering wheel, your phone on the holder vibrating" Is not normal for 2 cylinder mode . Never had that feeling in my 1.4 ACT [/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will do a bit more driving and will try to figure out if it happens when on 2-cylinder or 4-cylinder mode. The vibration is not excessive (which is why I did not pay attention to it during test drive), but now that I can listen to and check the car operation more closely, this is smth that is noticeable.

Herre

Sound strange. My kodiaq definitely does not feel like that. Running on 2 or 4 cylinders is totally not noticeable, except for the ECO symbol on the dash. I think is you set the dsg to sport it maintains more rpm. You could try that to figure out if that makes a difference.

Tees

Donateur
It's a good suggestion of @Herre to try: if it happens at a certain speed, independent of engine rpm, it's after the gearbox (then wheels or tires would be the first suspects), if not, it's before it (engine, any link to the gearbox, or the gearbox itself).

Andriyus

Nieuw lid
Sound strange. My kodiaq definitely does not feel like that. Running on 2 or 4 cylinders is totally not noticeable, except for the ECO symbol on the dash. I think is you set the dsg to sport it maintains more rpm. You could try that to figure out if that makes a difference.

This happens when I drive at around 1600-1750 rpms but not sure if low RPMs are the cause. I tried just now shifting to manual mode and downshifting to a lower gear - the vibration does not seem to be affected by it (neither positively nor negatively).

Tees

Donateur
The fact that it's not RPM-dependent, points at it being somewhere from the gearbox to the tires. I would have a good look at the tires and wheels, perhaps first try to increase the pressure a bit to see if it's just 'square' tires. If that doesn't help after a couple of weeks, I'd suggest taking a look at the balance of the wheels.

Bovenaan Onderaan